Everything you need to know about getting an Animal Health Certificate


Specialists in pet travel into and out of the UK.
Get an Export Quote Get an Import Quote

fluffy black cat sat on a desk with a girl working on her laptop

Travelling with a pet can appear complicated at first, with numerous pet travel requirements and regulations to follow. A key requirement is an Animal Health Certificate which, since Brexit,  has replaced the use of a pet passport.

At TailWings, we are experts in international pet travel and are here to make your travels as easy and enjoyable as possible for you. Read on to find out about how the Animal Health Certificate works so you can relax and enjoy your travels!


What is an Animal Health Certificate?

An Animal Health Certificate is a document that allows entry of your cat, dog or ferret into the EU for up to 4 months. It replaces the former pet passport for travel from Great Britain.


Does my pet need an Animal Health Certificate?

If your pet was issued a pet passport in Great Britain, it is no longer valid for travel in the EU and Northern Ireland, meaning will need to be replaced with an Animal Health Certificate.

If your pet has a pet passport that was issued by a non-UK EU country or Switzerland, this will still be valid and they don’t need an Animal Health Certificate.


How do I get an Animal Health Certificate?

To get an Animal Health Certificate for your pet, you will need to take your pet to an Official Veterinarian who must sign the paperwork to confirm your pet’s health records. Check if your vet is an Official Veterinarian, or ask them to help you locate one.

For your pet to be eligible to have an Animal Health Certificate, they must be at least 12 weeks old, be microchipped, and have had their rabies vaccination at least 21 days prior.

You’ll need to bring proof of your pet’s microchip as well as their vaccination info so that the vet can confirm their details are correct.

The official examination by the vet must be carried out no later than 10 days before you travel, and you will need a new Animal Health Certificate for each trip to an EU country or Northern Ireland from Great Britain.

We hope this has helped to give you some peace of mind when it comes to travelling with a pet. Remember, other pet travel requirements vary country by country, so it is important that you stay up to date and check the regulations for where you and your pet are travelling to.


If you would like any help with understanding the requirements for your chosen destination or help with any paperwork, then please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team and we will be happy to help you!